Monday, November 16, 2009

Why I am running for Utah County Commissioner

Dear Utah County Voter,

I am pleased to announce my candidacy for Utah County Commissioner in 2010. I hope to earn your vote. Below is my initial campaign statement. I welcome your thoughts, comments, encouragement and especially criticism.

Warm Regards,
Joel Wright
801-368-5385


FOR RELEASE AFTER 5 AM ON THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2009

Contact: Joel Wright

Phone: 801-368-5385

Email: wright4countycommissioner@gmail.com



Campaign Statement from Joel Wright

My name is Joel Wright, and I am a Republican candidate for Utah County Commissioner in 2010. I am running because I love Utah County, and believe it has enormous untapped potential. In order for Utah County to thrive, we need to think about our county as a broader, unified entity. Very few of Utah County's half million residents live, work and play in a single city in Utah County. We need a county government that understands this, and is willing to effectively lead on the key regional issues. Below I share the key issues I will focus on, the principles that will guide me, and my experience. But, most importantly, I need to hear from you.

Please email me at wright4countycommissioner@gmail.com and let me know what issues matter to you, and visit my initial campaign web site (http://wright4countycommissioner.blogspot.com/ ) and review the issues posted there. I am also available on Facebook (search for Joel David Wright), or follow me on Twitter (as JoeldWright).


Key regional issues include:

1. Removing Obstacles to Economic Development. Economic development is not the responsibility of government. But an effective government can remove the obstacles to economic development. We need to create opportunities worthy of our young and talented work force, or we are going to lose them.

2. Transportation. We are growing faster than we are solving our problems. Utah County is at the mercy of both the federal and state governments on this issue. Our federal and state government should not be involved with roads that do not cross county lines. Instead, the federal and state governments should return the gas tax they take from us based on a simple formula, which would allow us to build our own roads and infrastructure.

3. Utah Lake. Utah Lake is the crown jewel in the middle of our county. We need to make it more accessible with trails and beaches, improve the ecosystem of the lake and build on the progress made to date.

4. Reform County Government. Utah County still has three full time county commissioners, which is a primitive form of government that was instituted by default over 100 years ago. This form of government is not modeled after the US Constitution, and the Utah County Commissioners have “executive, legislative and judicial” powers. In other words, no separation of powers, no checks and balances, and no regional representation. The voters could decide to change this form of government if the county commissioners were willing to trust them, and put this issue on the ballot.

5. Fighting Modern Crime: I think it is critical we give the Utah County Attorney and Sheriff the resources and training they need to fight modern crimes in Utah County. Specifically, we need law enforcement capable of stopping ponzi schemes and fighting prescription drug abuse. We cannot rely on state or federal authorities to solve either of these problems.


Key principles that will guide me are:

1. Government cannot solve all, or even most, of the world’s problems. Government should do well what it is supposed to do, and then stop.

2. Balance the budget, no tax increases. This is obvious, but worth repeating.

3. Local control of local issues. Utah County has nearly 550,000 residents. We simply don’t need, or want, the “assistance” of the federal or state government to solve most of our problems. Both Washington DC and Salt Lake City are taking too much money from us, and then either ignoring our problems, or trying to solve our problems their way.

4. Public Input, Public Information. I will actively seek public input on every major decision. All information I get will be made public unless I am prohibited by law from doing so. I will send out a monthly email explaining what I have done the previous month, and maintain an active web site where I will post and discuss issues with the voters in Utah County.


Experience:

1. Professional. Partner with the law firm Kirton & McConkie in their Orem office where I focus on real estate matters. Named by Utah Business Magazine to Utah’s Legal Elite.

2. Utah County Republican Party. Legislative District #57 Chair, State Delegate, County Delegate, Precinct Vice-Chair, Utah County Constitution and Bylaws Committee, Utah County Platform Committee Member and Alternate National Delegate.

3. Public Service. Utah State Board of Regents, Utah State Charter School Board and Cedar Hills City Council.

4. Education. Timpview High School, Brigham Young University (B.A. in Economics and Political Science) and New York University (J.D.).

5. Personal. Married to Marisa Wright, and we are the parents of four children. My wife and I were both raised in Utah County, and we wanted to raise our children here as well.

6. Other. Former Scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts. Eagle Scout. Coached baseball and soccer teams on many occasions. Member of the Utah Taxpayers Association. Adopted Canyon Road (SR 146) in Cedar Hills with my family, and pick up the trash there on a regular basis.


I look forward to hearing from you.


Warm Regards,

Joel Wright

801-368-5385

wright4countycommissioner@gmail.com